Discussion: cult spy series...Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 3 posts
lenechen
lenechen
cult spy series...
Apr 11 2013, 5:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 11 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
I have the impression that UK articles more often say "cult" to describe the Man from U.N.C.L.E. I certainly do not read every single article, but is it commonly described as "cult "spy series everywhere? In the US?
It sounds slightly odd to me for such a wide spread open popularity over decades. Well, I am foreign so maybe it is my brain which perceives the word.

Wish somebody still recalls that the Magnificent Seven was after the legendary film from Japan.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None (edit keyword tags)
SoloSista
SoloSista
1. RE: cult spy series...
Apr 12 2013, 5:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2013, 5:07 AM EDT
Interesting points. I believe the use of the term “cult” refers simply to the fact that so many of the show’s original viewers still hold the show dear to their hearts. They followed the show , collected the merchandise and never forgot the joy the program gave them growing up. For a long time U.N.C.L.E. fans were only made up of the “first cousins” as they call themselves, but since the DVD release of the series more and more young people have begun to enjoy the show, building up yet another layer of “cult” members.

With regards to “The Magnificent Seven”, I would say that about 95% of the articles I have read always make a reference somewhere to the great Japanese film “The Seven Samurai”. It really depends on the Writer/Interviewer and how much research they have done before hand.

Anyone wishing to see the original Akira Kurosawa Classic “The Seven Samurai” it will air on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) on Sunday July 14th at 2:15am est.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
lenechen
lenechen
2. RE: cult spy series...
Apr 14 2013, 2:57 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 14 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
Thanks for info.
I do not know which layer I belong to, but you have one from the latest layer...my daughter born in this century.

The Seven Samurai is a dark lengthy(but beautiful!) film. Hope everybody enjoys it!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?